It’s not enough to hire talented people; leaders should have an on-going, regular review of their talent to ensure they are continuously working to upgrade talent and remove C players from the culture.
A great way to drive this process is through a simple, four-quadrant matrix where you evaluate each team member based on two core criteria:
- What percentage of the time do they live the core values?
- What is their average percent productivity in their role?
The answer to each question will lead to a single data point to place them in the quadrant as an
- A Player: High in core values and productivity.
- B Player: High in core values and low to medium in productivity.
- C Player: Low in core values. No matter how productive they are, if they’re not living the core values, they’re C players.